Network and Security Managed Services Engineer
Basingstoke, England, United KingdomServices
Nomios' mission is to build a ‘secure and connected’ future. Organisations across the globe depend on us to help secure and connect their digital infrastructures.
In support of our continued UK growth, we are currently seeking a Network and Security Managed Services Engineer to join our Services team. This is a fantastic opportunity for an engineer who wishes to move to the next level in their career and work with a great team of technical superstars and industry-leading vendors (including Juniper, Cisco, Adva, Fortinet, PaloAlto, and F5). The ideal candidate will have an entrepreneurial spirit, be a proactive thinker, and will be keen to learn as well as to mentor others.
Your role as a Network and Security Engineer
Your role as a Network and Security Engineer is critical to our customer support processes. You will provide Level 2 and Level 3 support to our clients and resolve complex network/systems faults, in addition to implementing customer service requests on a range of networking technologies, including WAN, Managed LAN, Firewalls and DNS.
Working as part of a team, you need to love what you do! You should want to consistently learn and certify; be able to challenge the status quo; thrive on problem solving; and have a close eye for detail.
Your responsibilities will support the aim of providing an excellent customer experience.
- Operational support and proactive monitoring of customer network infrastructures to ensure 24x7x365 uptime
- Network troubleshooting
- Provision of proactive and reactive network and security support to customers for faults and service requests
- Management of the health of devices for Managed Service Customers; of change requests (and executing changes based on agreed process); and of access requirements
- Communication and escalation management
- Management of, and working within, strict Service Level Agreements for fault response, restoration, and resolution
- Management of third-party suppliers involved in delivery of services
- Identification and management of any escalated faults, liaising with third-party suppliers for major incidents or network improvements
- Ensuring that customers are provided with progress updates relating to incidents/service requests, and that internal systems are kept updated
- Management of tickets to meet agreed KPIs
- Problem Management to identify recurring incidents and support improvements to mitigate against recurring incidents
- Responsibility for directing field engineers driving incident troubleshooting and resolution of hardware failures
- Contributing to the CSI (Continual Service Improvement) team to enhance and improve customer experience
- Collaboration with our wider technical community on ad hoc projects
We hire smart, high-energy people! You will be a highly motivated individual who works well within a wider team. You should possess excellent communication skills, with a desire to continuously learn and improve.
You must be able to demonstrate a skill set and competencies that enable first-class delivery of the responsibilities outlined above.
Additional requirements include:
- Good understanding and hands-on experience of working on IP, OSPF, BGP, and MPLS based networks (ideally Juniper focussed)
- Good understanding of Carrier Ethernet MEF2.0 & MEF3.0 concepts such as Eline, ELAN, etc.
- Good understanding of optical CWDM and DWDM technologies
- Good understanding of optical splitter/combiner filters
- Exposure to GPON & XGSPON access networks is ideal but not essential
- Hands-on experience of working with ADVA, SmartOptics, Nokia, or Ciena kit would be advantageous
- Hands-on experience of building and maintaining Dell/HP servers would be advantageous
- Experience working with ITIL methodology and meeting SLAs
- Juniper or Cisco Specialist/Professional level certifications would be an advantage
The Network and Security Engineer reports to the Network Operations Manager.
- This role is home-based with occasional visits to the office in Basingstoke
- Hours are based on 12-hour shifts: 2 days, 2 nights, 4 off
- Flexibility with hours is required in the event of a major incident
Why would you choose to come and work with us?
You will get to work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment where you are free to use your initiative in support of our customers. You will work alongside high calibre sales, technical, and operational experts as part of a supportive, tight-knit team, within which every individual has an important part to play and makes a real difference. Nomios offers a highly competitive salary and commission scheme along with industry-leading benefits.
Nomios is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to creating and sustaining an environment in which everyone is provided with an equal opportunity to grow and develop, and no individual will be unjustly discriminated against. This includes, but is not limited to, discrimination because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion and belief, sex and sexual orientation.